Tuesday 1 November 2016

Slim Chance

Met up with Stewart at Amble this morning and immediately headed to the urban south east corner of Northumberland.
Newbiggin by the Sea. A Siberian Accentor had been discovered on an industrial site with somewhat restricted access.

After travelling to East Yorkshire to see the first of this species to be discovered on mainland Britain, if I'm right, a few weeks ago and having missed out on a couple of occasions in subsequent weeks birds seen on Holy Island I was really keen to see a Siberian Accentor in Northumberland. Its fair to say I may never get the chance again.

Approaching the area where this bird had been seen one of the obstacles to be overcome was a narrow gap through a substantial fence, Stewart passed through with more dignity than I'd have liked and I.... simply wouldn't fit. Stuck!!, Stewart on the bird side of the fence and me on the other side.

Half an hour or so of low mood indeed, pacing up and down,swearing and cursing the consumption of too much cake, junk food and beer followed, until we found an alternative route. 

A long walk was eventually rewarded with some fabulous views of this special little bird.






Anyway, I enjoyed the bird and some excellent chat with a few others who I must say had made it to the bird the hard way and didn't seem to much slimmer than I, respectfully of course. I mustn't have tried...

We weren't finished though. An Isabelline Shrike was showing well in South Shields. We were cool though, gasping for a cup of tea. We attended to this then headed off towards the tunnel.

After getting lost a little and making an sos call or two we arrived at the site, coastal cliff tops south of the River Tyne mouth. The bird was showing well, we had good views but over enthusiastic photogrpahers of which I was one for a short period, were keeping it at a distance to far for any sort of decent photograph. The bird was constantly mobbed by Stonechats, Reed Buntings and Wrens too.



A very good morning, I really must start a 'list' you know...

2 comments:

  1. Love the tale ;) I was too much of a gentleman to mention it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was something to say, pity we didn't have photos to illustrate it

      Delete